CMC Auto Union Type C #18 Nürburgring, Rosemeyer SCALE 1:12
Limited Edition 300 pcs.
“Unprecedented …. Auto Union is raising the bar of competition for the racing scene!” A headline of sports news from 1936 might well have read like this. We’re talking about the famous “fog-race” at the Nürburgring, which Bernd Rosemeyer won spectacularly on his Auto Union Type C. CMC has recreated this fantastic winning car as a high-end model in scale 1:12.
On June 14th 1936, Auto Union sent its best driver Bernd Rosemeyer to compete in the famous Eifel race at the Nürburgring, driving an Auto Union Type C with starting #18. This event became one of the most memorable fog-races at the Nürburgring. It consisted of 10 laps for a total distance of 228 km. The race was dominated by three prominent drivers of the time from the very beginning. Leading the way was Rudolf Caracciola in a Mercedes W25, next came the veteran warrior Tazio Nuvolari in an Alfa Romeo P3, and behind him was Bernd Rosemeyer in a Type C. After the 3rd round Nuvolari surpassed Caracciola to take the lead. But Rosemeyer was catching up steadily. Following a shock absorber failure that forced Caracciola to retire, a thrilling duel for victory unfolded between Nuvolari and the daredevil Rosemeyer. True to his nickname, Rosemeyer endeavored to become the undisputed front-runner by the 7th round. At a significant distance behind him was Nuvolari, running in the 2nd place. During the 8th round, however, something unforeseen happened. With the sudden descent of a heavy fog, the Nürburgring was enveloped in an impenetrable wall of mist. Visibility was reduced to less than 20 meters! And what did Rosemeyer do? This crazy guy kept going full speed ahead. With a seriously blurred vision, he had to rely on his route memory of the course, a 7th sense for orientation, and an undaunted spirit to win the race. A legend was born. Bernd Rosemeyer went down in racing history as the “Fog Master.” Auto Union was setting a new benchmark that put an end to the dominance of Mercedes Benz.
- Hand-assembled precision metal model, built from 1,937 single parts, of which 1,587 are made of metal
- Removable engine hood with real rubber o-rings for locking hooks
- Body panels are fastened by screws with originally-designed heads that feature two perforated eyes/holes
- True-to-the-original replication of the 16-cylinder V-type engine with all aggregates, pipes and cabling
- Dual exhaust system made of metal
- Crank-arm front suspension with friction-shock absorbers made of metal
- Metal rear axle
- Handcrafted radiator grill of stainless steel with a detailed cooling system and oil/fuel delivery lines
- Openable fuel tank cap made of stainless steel
- Cockpit fitted with a textile-covered driver seat and “Rosemeyer steering wheel” that has round disks riveted on its spokes
- Functional gearshift with a metal switch guide
- Removable central locking nuts with right- and left-hand threads (side-dependent).
- The body is built of copper sheet entirely, an innovative technique that is unique in the model-building industry.
- Each wheel is representative of the model-building art pioneered by CMC to make it truly realistic-looking. Stainless steel spokes are mounted individually by hand on the aluminum rim and hub, each with a tiny nipple at the base. What you are witnessing is one-of-a-kind handcraftsmanship.
TECHNICAL DATA (ORIGINAL VEHICLE)
- Monoposto with free-standing wheels on a tubular frame
- 16-cylinder V-engine
- 2 valves per cylinder, controlled by one overhead cam shaft
- Roots compressor
- Dry sump lubrication
|Maximum output:||520 hp at 5,000 rpm|
|Top speed:||approx. 340 km/h|
|Maximum torque:||870 nm|
|Mixture preparation:||1 Solex horizontal dual-carburettor|
|Bore x stroke:||75 x 85 mm|
|Wheel base:||2,910 mm|
|Track front/rear:||1,420 / 1,420 mm|
|Total length:||3,920 mm|
The use of manufacturers’ names, symbols, type designations, and/or descriptions is solely for reference purposes. It does not imply that the CMC scale model is a product of any of these manufacturers.
The use of racing term and/or driver names, symbols, starting numbers, and/or descriptions is solely for reference purposes. Unless otherwise stated, it does not imply that the CMC scale model is a product of any of these racing teams/drivers or endorsed by any of them.