CMC Mercedes-Benz W 125, Donington GP, #2 Lang
Limited Edition 1000 pcs.
Mercedes entered four race cars of the type W125 for the Donington Grand Prix 1937. With starting number 2, Hermann Lang took off from the first row of the grid. In the 10th lap,
Lang became the race leader. But later on, he had to deal with massive problems in the front wheel suspension — a defect that was very unusual for the W125 so far. It is likely that the
extremely bumpy track (including one big jump) had caused this problem. CMC has replicated the Lang car virtually identical to the original.
- Hand-assembled diecast precision model composed of more than 900 single parts
- Authentically-crafted, true-to-scale body
- Removable engine hood with spring-loaded locking hooks and an additional leather belt for keeping the hood fastened
- Authentic replication of the 8-cylinder in-line-engine with impressive detailing
- Cooler grille handmade from stainless steel wires and a radiator wire mesh made of metal
- Removable wheels with aluminium rims, stainless steel spokes and nipples, and authentic rubber tires
- Dashboard made of stainless steel with a marble-brushed surface
- Cockpit seat is covered with real textile
- Detailed replication of the drum brakes with ventilation and cooling slots
- Brilliant bodywork painted and polished to a mirror finish with tampon printed starting numbers
HISTORY (ORIGINAL VEHICLE)
The Donington Grand Prix in England took place on October 2, was the final race of the 1937 season and the last round of the 750 kg formula racing. Although not a race of the Grand Prix European Championship it brought the Grand Prix scene to Great Britain for the first time and was an opportunity to see spectacular performances and racing giants.
Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union had been closely involved in the competition of major Grand Prix races, so a duel was expected to unfold between them, especially after both teams were reported to have sent their top drivers to the UK, such as Rudolf Caracciola for Mercedes-Benz and Bernd Rosemeyer for Auto Union. For safety reasons, the race organizers also decreed that all cars participating in this race be equipped with an additional leather belt to keep the engine hood shut, which gave each race car a very distinctive look.
The race itself was a merciless showdown between the young Bernd Rosemeyer in an Auto Union Type C and Manfred von Brauchitsch in his Mercedes W 125 with a 570-hp 8-clinder compressor engine. At the end Rosemeyer won, whereas von Brauchitsch finished 2nd and Caracciola 3rd. The other two Mercedes drivers Hermann Lang and Richard Seaman, a native British and local hero, were out of luck. Both had to retire from the race because of technical problems or accidents.
All in all, Mercedes would be satisfied with a 2nd and a 3rd places. The W 125 had proved to be the most successful Grand Prix car of this season, and Rudolf Caracciola winner of the European Championship in 1937.
TECHNICAL DATA (ORIGINAL VEHICLE)
- Roots compressor
- Two overhead camshafts
- Front wheels with single-wheel suspension and a double wishbone and coil springs
- De Dion rear axle with lengthwise installed torsion bars
|Maximum output:||570 PS bei 5800 / min|
|Top speed:||approx. 320 km/h|
|Bore x stroke:||94 x 102 mm|
|Track front / rear:||1,473 / 1,412 mm|
|Dry weight:||749 kg|
The use of manufacturers’ names, symbols, type designations, and/or descriptions is solely for reference purposes. It does not imply that the CMC scale model is a product of any of these manufacturers.
The use of racing term and/or driver names, symbols, starting numbers, and/or descriptions is solely for reference purposes. Unless otherwise stated, it does not imply that the CMC scale model is a product of any of these racing teams/drivers or endorsed by any of them.
- Pre-orderable models
- Available models
- New items 2022
- All Products
- Models 1/18
- CMC Alfa-Romeo
- CMC Auto Union
- CMC Bugatti
- CMC Ferrari
- CMC Jaguar
- CMC Lancia
- CMC Maserati
- CMC Mercedes-Benz
- CMC Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman
- CMC Talbot-Lago
- Race cars 24H France
- Limited Editions
- Formula 1 vehicles
- Race cars
- Road vehicles
- Pre-war vehicles
- Post-war vehicles
- Commercial vehicles
- Dioramas / Displays / Bundles
- Models 1/12
- Engines and Chassis
- Catalog 2020
- Anniversary products 25 Years CMC
- Currently not available