CMC Mercedes-Benz SSKL, Mille Miglia, 1931 (CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE)
No longer available for ordering!
Actively engaged in all major racing events worldwide between 1927 and 1933, including Grand Prix contests, endurance races, and hill-climbing championships, the Mercedes-Benz supercharged sports cars of the types S/SS/SSK/SSKL proved to dominate the race tracks of this period in an unprecedented manner. They were affectionately dubbed “white elephants” in admiration of their overwhelming prowess.
A long list of famous pilots was closely associated with the successes of these powerful machines. Among them were Hans Stuck, Carlos Zatuszek, Manfred von Branchitsch, and Bernd Rosemeyer. But they were overshadowed by one man — Rudolf Caracciola, the Titan at the Volant.
Rudolf Caracciola participated in the 1931 Mille Miglia, driving an SSKL race car with start number 87, which was about 125 kg lighter than the SSK model. After covering 1,365 km, Caracciola was thrilled to find that he had crossed the finish line with no Italian pilots ahead of him, and that he had set a sensational new record time for this world-famous endurance race that ran on a most beautiful circuit in the world.
After conducting extensive research that was costly, CMC has managed to uncover the original condition of the winning car at that time. The information is incorporated into the making of what is now an incredibly detailed metal model built from more than 1885 parts.
Particularly noteworthy are the improved wheels, whose stainless-steel spokes are now mounted with nipples for the first time.
- Hand-mounted metal precision model built from 1885 parts
- Authentically replicated and precisely scaled car body
- True-to-the-original replication of the light-weight steel frame with original bore hole pattern
- Metal cooler grill with rock-protection
- Double-leaf engine hood openable from both sides, secured by a leather belt
- Functional hinges of the engine hood coiled with springs
- Vivacious miniaturization of the 6-cylinder-inline engine with all aggregates, pipelines and cabeling
- Right-sides exhaust pipes made of flexible metal-hoses
- Masterly crafted spoke wheels with aluminum rims and stainless steel spokes wired by hand
- All spokes are mounted with metal nipples
- Removable knock-off wheel fasteners
- 2 spare wheels fastened by a toggle screw behind the cockpit
- Functional and authentically replicated multi-layer metal springs on front and rear axles
- Filler-neck with removable tank-top made of stainless steel
- Steering wheel covered with genuine leather
- Both levers of the steering wheel (hand acceleration and ignition timing) are movable
- True-to-the-original presentation of the cockpit, including both seats covered with leather and a nicely replicated dashboard with all instruments and control gauges
- Adjustable windscreen for driver and co-driver
- Finned brake-drums, created like the original with a typical copper appearance
- Deposit board on the co-driver´s side with a fuel reserve can and a tool-box made of wood with a flip-open cover (mini-tools included inside)
- Folded soft-top resting in a leather casing and wrapped up by leather belts (not openable)
- Tampon printings of start number 87 on the car body
TECHNICAL DATA (ORIGINAL VEHICLE)
- 6-cylinder-inline-engine with top positioned camshaft
- Shifting system to engage the compressor (roots blower)
- *27= rated horsepower (tax), 240 horsepower without compressor, 300 horsepower with compressor (max. output)
|Power output*:||27/240/300 hp at 3300 rpm|
|Bore x stroke:||100 x 150 mm|
|Top speed:||235 km/h|
|Total length:||4.250 mm|
|Track fornt/rear:||1470/1460 mm|
The use of manufacturers’ names, symbols, type designations, and/or descriptions is solely for reference purposes. It does not imply that the CMC scale model is a product of any of these manufacturers.
The use of racing term and/or driver names, symbols, starting numbers, and/or descriptions is solely for reference purposes. Unless otherwise stated, it does not imply that the CMC scale model is a product of any of these racing teams/drivers or endorsed by any of them.